Tuesday, November 3, 2009

An Entirely New Endeavor

Recently, I have been transitioning towards a significant change in my life. I have decided to pursue the life of a fiber farmer, hand-spinner, knitter, fiber artist, entrepreneur, and shoveler of animal droppings.

The Fiber Flock is going to catalogue the most interesting aspects of the millions of things I will be learning on this grand new adventure with all these new labels.

I have always had childlike affection for sheep, goats, and other farm animals. As I have become more involved in the world of crafting, self-sufficiency, sustainability and homesteading- all of these concepts have collided in my head as a gleaming vision of me in Carhartts and knee-high Wellies proudly holding up the newest lamb in my flock.

I don't currently live on a farm, and I am either inexperienced or a complete novice at every one of the aforementioned labels, but I have plans to make the dream of running my own fiber farm a reality in about a year (two at the most). Until then, I will be learning as much as possible about being a shepherd, and about the ins and outs of processing fiber and making them into raw material and finished pieces. I will be posting interesting finds, great books, amazing artists, and whatever else I am learning about or find to be particularly interesting at the time. I could write about spinning wheels one day, and tractors the next. I never really know what I'll come across in a day's research.

So, here we go.

2 comments:

  1. yaaaaaaaayYY! so excited about this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's only natural, you have farming in your blood, and specifically, your great, great uncle had sheep in northern Ontario.

    ReplyDelete